Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pleased our Head of State has, after taking counsel with his offspring, outed himself as a rational 21st century man. Among the rational minded, over a quarter of a century ago, this was already commonly held belief that if able minded adults desired to wed, they should be able to so. Also recognized was that if a patriarch in Utah desired multiple wives, this was probably a perpetuation of regressive and oppressive policy.  The major factor that lead to Obama's election was his ability to speak to truth using language we hadn't heard for decades. Sure, Clinton had his moments, he started out strong, got elected with the same rhetoric, which was about truth, but his truth got lost in his fabrications and his sugar-coated conservatism. In '08 I voted Green party, but I still enjoyed crying in Grant Park when O made his acceptance speech. I'd felt the Civil rights battle had finally manifested some real tangible result: A black man as president! It seemed a stretch that this could occur in my lifetime. (I guess I thought a white woman would make it there first, but soon perhaps.) This was the same Grant Park I watched on the evening news as a pre-teen, when it was cops and National Gaurd vs. people exercising their constitutional rights. So he said the right thing, it hasn't changed state laws, it changes the dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment